Monday, January 7, 2013

And so it begins!

     First day of class (art 220 Concept Development) was interesting and definitely rememberable. Instead of having a professor stand behind a desk and talk to the class, he came down to the same level as his students and talked to each and every student. When everyone was seated in a circular setting, each student was handed an index card where we listed our name, major, and the year we plan on graduating. By having these index cards passed around rather than the professor pick a name each time, it made the ice breaker game a little more personal. We started off with an ice breaker game where each person says 3 things about themselves but 1 of them is a lie and the rest of the class needs to figure out which 1 of the 3 is a lie. Some did great, where others were completely obvious when they lied. I felt caught off guard so mine was pretty lame.  

     This was a fun and creative way to start a quarter. After everyone had the chance to talk, we went over the syllabus. The one thing that stuck with me till now is the word, didactic. Jimmy (professor) used this word to explain to the class  that his teaching style for this class is not didactic; once he said this, all I can think in my mind was, "this class is going to be a challenge, but a fun one," it is one of those classes where I look back and say, "I can't believe I am capable of that." Looking forward to this quarter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment