Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 6

     Who thinks of problems for a whole class to overcome? That's right Jimmy Moss. Todays group problem for the class was to alphabetize ourselves by our first name in a reasonable amount of time. It took us about 10 min to figure it out... I think we did okay given the fact that some people were still signing in as Jimmy prompted the class to solve this problem. 
     Jumping straight into the questions, where we got to see how Elizabeth Gilbert and Paula Scher use their creative method :

1. Have you experienced your own or other people's fear-based reactions to your creative education and career choices? 
- All the time! I still get asked this question on a daily bases. It may sound something like, " What possessed you to do something in art? Why not a doctor or a lawyer? That's where the money is..." 

2. How have you successfully overcome these reactions?

- The first thing I set straight is when they say "art." Yes my major is categorized as art but, my option is graphic design and visual communication. There are many directions one can go by majoring in art. The road I am currently taking is the designing aspect. As I explain to people the connection between the two, they see the passion I overflow with when explaining. It truly is something I feel one with when trying to figure out a problem for a design. 

3. What is your concept of your creative process?
- My concept for a creative process is similar to Paula Scher's process depending on my mood. When I'm in my zone, I come up with a few amazing ideas from the first few sketches, the rest usually come out not as creative, or it just doesn't have the oomph. This happens rarely. The other creative process is doing over 200 little thumbnails, then taking a step back and choosing my top five.  

4. How do you approach creating, making?

-When approaching to create something, it all depends on my mood. Sometimes I work with a group of people doing my work as I listen to music, then ask the people around me what they think ( I have been using this method more often). I also like to go to cafes and work on my designs and ask random people that know nothing about the concept and get their feedback, then backtrack it to the people who do understand the concept. (this method is always enticing because the feedback I get from the random people are always interesting and make me think twice about the choices I have made about my design layout.)

No comments:

Post a Comment